First of all, this is not a pat on my back or to say that I’m an expert at making positive changes in other’s lives. All i am about to share is what drastically changed things for me in 2012 and could potentially set the sail for a new course in your life for 201
- I spent more hours reading books than watching TV: Input equals output. if you fill your mind with nonsense, negativity, and gossip, guess what’s coming out of you? If you fill your mind with uplifting words, education, personal development, and leadership material, guess what’s coming out of you?
- I gave up drinking: Outside of the formal “toast” at a wedding, I did not have a single drink in 2012. Many of you will say that i have lost my mind, but i have never felt more clear headed and more directed than I do now. I honestly did not miss it whatsoever. I missed some friends initially because our relationships revolved around alcohol and partying, but if all a relationship does is revolve around drinking and partying and a relationship dwindles because alcohol was no longer involved, it wasn’t much of a relationship in the first place. Friends should sharpen you and make you better, not the opposite.
- I found purpose and meaning: when you find purpose and meaning for your life, rather than just going through the motions, what other people think and say no longer has an impact on you. so often people are driven by what other people may think of them. Always, always, consider the source when worrying about what other people may think.
- I paid close attention to my associations: You are the average of the people you spend the most time with. We even earn like them. I’m not saying ditch your friends, what I’m saying is lift your friends up where you want to go in life. Do not, i repeat, do not let them drag you down so that you don’t make them feel insecure when they are around you.
- I took action: God would not put hopes and dreams in your heart and soul if he didn’t also equip you with the tools necessary to achieve them. Oftentimes we simply sit on the fence of a good idea or a good opportunity. Fences weren’t designed to sat on, so get off. Remember, god feeds the birds every morning, but he doesn’t put the worms in the bird’s nests! You have to go after your good idea or opportunity. You have develop yourself to get better. A hope or a dream without action is about the saddest thing I have witnessed in my short time on this earth. I dare everyone to think big and dream big and then go after the hopes and dreams that god placed inside you.